Thursday, February 3, 2011

Stephen A. Smith Returns to ESPN Radio

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse UniversityScholarship in Action 

One of my favorite television personalities is the great Stephen A. Smith. I met Stephen a few years ago when I appeared on his ESPN show, "Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith." Smith's show was my favorite in all of television, primarily because it was a place where black men could be men on the national stage and discuss the issues that mattered most (to us). I told Stephen A. that his show was effectively "The Black Man's Oprah," and we needed more like it.
It was Stephen's deep commitment to the black athlete in America that led me to realize that his television days were numbered. There is no way on God's green earth that a show so seriously committed to the black male would last on any of the major networks. Stephen's show should never have been canceled, but his show should probably have been on BET or TV One.

 

Click to read.

No comments: