Friday, February 18, 2011

Dr. Boyce, Rev. Sharpton Speak at Ohio Education Rally

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse UniversityScholarship in Action 

Most of you by now know about the case of Kelley Williams-Bolar. You also know that I've taken a personal interest in Kelley's case since we first hit the issue on Black Voices. Kelley, in case you don't know, was convicted of a felony after sending her children to a school district that was not her own. This case against a single mother seeking a better educational situation for her kids set off a firestorm of international support.


I arrived in Akron yesterday to prepare for the rally on Kelley's behalf, and Rev. Sharpton got here tonight. When we arrived at the church, the parking lot was full, the news trucks were everywhere and police were on hand to control us "rabble-rousing black folks."


The National Action Network was necessary in creating the infrastructure for the rally, for which I was extremely appreciative. The community was particularly gracious in coming out to take a stand for educational equality, which I found to be equally impressive. A glaring absence from the room was Ms. Williams-Bolar, but the issue is bigger than just one person, so I personally wasn't concerned. I honestly can't say why Kelley wasn't at the rally or why her attorneys advised her not to show up, but I hope it was for a good reason. I also hope that they will one day allow her to thank the citizens who came out in bad weather to support her case.

 

Click to read.

No comments: