Sunday, April 17, 2011

“Uncle Luke” Running for Mayor of Miami

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Your Black World – Scholarship in Action 

“Uncle Luke” from 2 Live Crew has decided to become the mayor of Miami.  At least he’s going to try.  Luke, who is now 50 years old, claims that the run is a serious one, and not some kind of joke.

"My major hurdle is people taking me seriously, a lot of people think this is a joke," said Uncle Luke. "I call it a banana republic and I'm serious about it. You look at the commission and they make their own rules as they go, regardless of what the county attorney says, they make their own rules, just do what they want. They have no respect for the people."

Do I consider the campaign to be a joke?  Well, I guess it depends on how Luke goes about trying to become mayor.  Of course he probably won’t win the election, so perhaps my personal speculation is moot.  But I have to at least give Luke credit for trying to become involved in his community.  Luke interviewed me for his radio show about a year ago, and I’ll admit that the show was not a serious one.  However, I could sense that beneath the wild, raunchy, comedic demeanor lies a man with a keen understanding of the world around him.

Click to read.

No comments: