Thursday, August 5, 2010

How to Achieve Your Goals: No Nonsense

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse University 

I must first start this article by making it clear that I am not a man who knows all the answers. In spite of the fact that I happen to be a professor, I would much rather be the student than the teacher. One of the things I've noticed over time is that there are quite a few of us who end up in the "woulda shoulda coulda" category of life. Rather than achieving our goals, we talk about how we "woulda done this if it hadn't been for that," or we "shoulda did this when we were younger." Most of us "coulda" done quite a few things, but what matters at the end of the day is what you actually do. In fact, I would rather have someone actually give me a dollar than to promise me a million dollars that were never delivered.
Life is incredibly short. You've got 8,760 hours in every year, and about 1/3 of those hours will be spent sleeping. By sitting still, wasting time or engaging in meaningless activity, you are slowly drifting toward a safe arrival to your death bed. Most of us have a few dreams we'd like to fulfill while we wait for the next life to arrive, and what usually stands between us and our dreams is a little thing called "execution."

 

Click to read

No comments: