Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Why I Wouldn't Keep Michael Vick on My Team

by Dr. Boyce Watkins

I've always defended Michael Vick .  I've never supported him because I liked him as a human being or thought he was a good person.  Most of my support for Vick has been driven by my commitment to fairness, and the fact that the punishment must fit the crime.  When you go back in time, it's not uncommon for black male athletes to be treated like animals when they make the same mistakes that are made by the rest of us, and I just won't have it.  When Michael Vick did his time for dog fighting, I was convinced that he'd learned his lesson and was ready to become one of the great comeback stories in all of sport.

I'm not yet sure, but I think I might be wrong.  The shooting that took place at Michael Vick's recent birthday bash was disturbing for a number of reasons.  Most disturbing were the reports that Vick had not yet been ruled out as a suspect in the shooting.  I was hopeful that it wasn't the case that he'd be dumb enough to get involved in something so foolish, especially since he has $5.2 million coming this year if he can stay out of trouble.  But even if Vick is not a suspect, there is also the fact that he simply put himself in a situation that he should never have been a part of in the first place.  By holding a bash and inviting people who might do things to jeopardize his future, Vick has made himself appear both ignorant and audacious.  The rule of thumb for black men in America is that your own behavior is not always the determinant of your fate; the behavior of others can play a role in your personal outcomes as well.  Michael Vick must find a way to let go of at least a part of his past if he is going to have a chance to embrace a positive and productive future.

If I were the management of the Philadelphia Eagles, I would consider cutting Michael Vick.  By having such a willingness to  put himself in harm's way, he is jeopardizing his own life and the brand of the Eagles.  If Vick were to be killed or imprisoned again, it would lead to millions in losses for the team, as well as the challenge of having to clean up a mess that might be unmanageable.  Michael Vick needs to grow up.

 

Dr. Boyce Watkins is the founder of the Your Black World Coalition and the initiator of the National Conversation on Race. He is also the author of the book, "Black American Money. For more information, please visit BoyceWatkins.com.




No comments: