Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lil Wayne’s Gun Charge is Real Life 101

wayne

by Dr. Boyce Watkins 

I am good friends with “Charlamagne Tha God,” morning host for 100.3 “The Beat’ in Philadelphia. When asked about Lil Wayne’s gun charges, Charlamagne didn’t spare the proverbial rod. Smacking Lil Weezy across the forhead, “Tha God” went at the rapper hard, saying that by getting a year in prison, Wayne “got exactly what he deserved.”

Charlamagne is stricter than I am when it comes to discussing ways to manage potential poisons in our society. He is a righteous brother and stands up for what he believes in. He also represents a breath of fresh air in hip-hop, where it seems that everything has to always be “100 percent hood, 100 percent of the time.” The hood is not nearly as violent, promiscuous and chaotic as commercialized hip-hop has made it out to be. I don’t always see eye to eye with Charlamagne, but we have respect for one another’s viewpoints.

RELATED: Lil Wayne Pleads Guilty To Gun Charges, Expects 1 Year Sentence

When it comes to Lil Wayne being sent to prison, part of me feels bad for him. Wayne has become a living, breathing, over-tattooed personification of the most detrimental elements in our society. He has somehow been convinced that he should live his life in the most destructive manner possible, without regard to how his choices might affect his children, his future and his community. To be quite honest, I see death in Lil Wayne, the same way I saw death in Tupac before he was shot in 1996. If Weezy lives past the age of 35, I will be absolutely shocked. I sincerely hope my instincts are wrong.

Click to read.

No comments: