Wednesday, January 2, 2008

BET 25 Events that misshaped black america




I was on this show with BET called "The 25 Events that Misshaped Black America". It was shortly after I'd done some other relatively controversial stuff with CBS Sports, ESPN, CNN and other places. I've worked with BET on a number of occasions and I usually feel relaxed when I am in their space....sometimes too relaxed.

I have let things loose on their network that might be truthful, but could still get me in trouble. My mother used to say that the truth will set you free, but when you are a black man, the truth can also get you locked up!

They asked me alot of financial questions, which I appreciate. I am not usually asked financial questions when I am in the white media, since they usually just ask me "black people stuff". But what I love most about dealing with BET, Black Enterprise and Essence is that I am a professional first and foremost and I get the respect earned from my doctorate. I haven't felt that way when I've worked with Fox News, which is why I have refused to work with them since last summer. Most of their shows are incredibly racist.....except Family Guy, which is one of my favorites (I had to tell the truth about that one).

At any rate, what I loved about this show was that they went head-on into the issues that really matter most for black people. They talked about Ward Connerly, the man who is single-handedly dismantling affirmative action by allowing himself to be used like a "Mega-hoe" by the racist establishment. Yep, I said it....."Mega-hoe". That's like a prostitute with really large sex organs.

Connerly is one of the most negative and destructive forces in American history and one of the human beings I respect the least on this planet. He makes Clarence Thomas look like Malcolm X. How a black man can go through this much effort to destroy educational opportunities for black youth is beyond me.

BET also confronted the prison system, which is destroying black families, killing black men, getting black women infected with HIV, you name it. No one is doing anything about it, and it sickens me that our society has allowed Jim Crow to creep back into our culture by disguising it as a fair justice system. The justice system is not fair and it never has been. Get that straight right now.

The show was great, and the people behind it were not only of the people, but very intelligent to boot. Much respect to the folks at BET. It was a good experience.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a good show, but they seemed to always focus on celebrities rather than intelligent brothers like yourself. I really wish they had been a little more thought provoking. But we are talking about BET here, so this is what I expect.

Anonymous said...

I believe that this episode was the most thought provoking mind liberating show I've seen on TV in a while. I was actually halfway through a poem called Top 10 tradgedies of Black eMerikka. The number one event that really hit reality was playin dumb. Slave mentality says we can't and shouldn't learn. But instead we learn what they want and never open our eyes to the truth. Most people are afraid of the truth. You spoke very eloquently and intellengent and I have been spreading the fury of Little Africa bka Black Wall Street. Before we can revolutionize this token existence we must first make our people aware. Thank you for adding positive energy to the cypher.

Ayana Tamu

Anonymous said...

I am very glad you took the time and wrote this post.

Anonymous said...

Hey Debbie, rofl =D

Micheal

Anonymous said...

cvyhfgzqm http://crush-the-castle.com Crush The Castle

Anonymous said...

tqgwobund [url=http://ricostrong.net]Rico The Destroyer[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!